I recently came across the very excellent Riot Grrill food blog and it made me think it would be awesome to occasionally post some of the recipes of the amazing food that we have at our events in case anyone else wants to have a go..
First up is LaDIYfest Sheffield’s very own Fiona who makes some of the best chocolatey based treats I have ever eaten. She has very kindly shared two recipes, which I will now share with you:
Fiona’s Chocolate Fudge
100g plain chocolate
50g butter/vegan marg
1tsp golden syrup
200g icing sugar
1) Place chocolate and marg in a bowl and melt in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (or place over a pan of gently simmering water until melted)
2) Stir in the vanilla essence and golden syrup, then gradually beat in the icing sugar until it forms a stiff paste (if you can’t get all the sugar into it, warm it slightly by placing the bowl over a pan of hot water). Press into a shallow 18cm spare tin.
3) Leave to set, then turn out and cut into squares. They will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
* To make these a bit more exciting, try adding cinnamon, nutmeg and chilli powder- it makes a wintery, fiery, mexican-y type heaven!
Brownies (From Sinfully Vegan)
1 1/3 cups sugar/granulated sweetener
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (but I just use the sickly Tesco basics stuff, can never have too much sugar!)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons flax powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups plain flour (I substitute some of the flour for coconut powder/flour- I’ve done it entirely with coconut powder when making gluten-free and it works fine. usually substitute about 1/3)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1) preheat oven to 350f. Coat an 8″ spaure baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Stir together sugar, applesauce and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl. in a small cup mix the flax powder witht he remaining 1/2 cup of water. Add to the applesauce mixture and stir to combine. Add the vanilla and stir.
3) In another bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the applesauce mixture tot he flour mixture. Stir just to combine and pour into the prepared pan.
4) Bake for 40 minutes for chewy brownies, 45-47 mins for cakey brownies. Allow to cool in the pan before serving.
* I usually add a load or peanuts/ peanuts and shredded coconut too and sprinkle peanuts on the top before baking. Can add whatever you like really!
I’m going to have a go at making some of these for a great gig this weekend (FB event) where LaDIYfest are going to be selling vegan cakes, and SAF will be there with us and their distro!