LaDIYfest meeting 30/05/2012
1. Rutland Arms meeting
Aim: to be constructive!
What we want to know and what we want to say:
- Start off by saying we appreciate the support from the Rutland in the past with putting on events etc and do want this to be constructive.
- Questions to ask:
- Tell us your account of what’s happened. How do you/your staff perceive it?
- Have you taken advice on discrimination in the workplace?
- What do you plan to do to make sure this doesn’t happen again?
- Do you feel that attitudes/actions have changed since the case? (Mention Fiona’s incident with ladiyfest flyer)
- Are you encouraging your staff to unionise? (mention a lot of people supported this on the facebook group)
- Will you be seeking training? (from unions?)
- Do you accept responsibility for what has happened?
2. Queer gig
- Avi dropping off PA at 6.30pm and showing us how to use it – as many people as possible to be there
- Hazel cooking for Jacquie and ONSIND. Will take food to cafe harland. Charlotte to ask cafe if this is okay.
- We will set up cafe so there is more room for standing at the front
- Cara has money pot, bunting and banner
3. Pride cunt discussion
12.30pm – 1.30pm, Alternative section, Endcliffe Park.
Format for discussion
- Name go around
- Go around the circle asking everyone to say the word “cunt” out loud
- Talk in pairs about how it felt to say it and feed back to the group
- Read things (Vagina monologues monologue, history, etymology, books)
- Small group discussions using questions below
- Final go around to see how everyone felt it went/ask if their opinion has changed since the beginning
Questions for small group discussions
- What do people feel about reclaiming cunt?
- When have you heard the word used? Was it positive or negative?
- What do you think of body negative language (when a body part is used negatively as a swear word). Do you think this makes us think badly of our bodies (ashamed etc) or does it not matter?
- Can you think of any insults which aren’t associated with body parts?
- When someone calls someone a cunt are they being sexist? Does it depend on their gender (the person being called cunt)?
- Is someone thinking about a vagina when they say the word cunt?
- Compare the use of cunt, and how it makes you feel, to the use of: pussy, dick, lame, retard.
- Why is it one of the strongest swear words? Is it because of its original meaning or just because it sounds so good?!
Monday 11th June – 6pm, Blue Moon Cafe